Salem was formally founded by a small group of Christian friends on August 25, 1880. We have occupied three buildings throughout our history and have been on our present site since 1969.
We are affiliated internationally with the Evangelical Covenant Church, which has its roots in historical Christianity, the Protestant Reformation, the Lutheran Church of Sweden and the spiritual awakening in Northern Europe in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
We have been instrumental in starting several area churches in our community over its 125 plus years. Salem Covenant and First Baptist also joined together in the formation of Salem Community Corporation and its subsidiary Briarwood, a Continuing Care Retirement Community, located adjacent to our property. Our respective churches continue to be represented on the Corporation and the Board of Trustees.